The students of Nelson Academy are extremely passionate about environmental issues. On Earth Day this year we decided to begin the process of gaining an Eco Green Flag School Award.
This is an internationally recognised 7-step program that includes participation and representation from students in year 1 through to year 6.
The program asks students to survey their school to see if it meets certain criteria in ten different areas. These area topics include: transport, waste, water, marine, litter, global citizenship, biodiversity, healthy living, energy, and school grounds.
After the survey, the Eco team picks three goals that are important to the school community, and they create an action plan. Our students wanted to increase biodiversity by adding habitats to the school grounds and afar, start growing their own fruits and vegetables, and cut down on litter.
Each goal is multi-layered and has different aspects that need to be implemented. All three of these goals are ongoing, but we have made some amazing progress. Next year we will need to add an additional goal, put in a lot of hard work and cooperation, and we should be well on our way to achieving the award. Keep your eyes open for updates from the team.
Progress of Action Plan
· We have held a fundraising day and were able donate a large sum of money to counteract deforestation across the globe
· We have added wildlife friendly plants near our restored wildlife pond
· A wildlife camera has been purchased, classes will be able to access the footage in order to gain better knowledge of the animals visiting Nelson
· We have applied for hedgerow plants to increase natural habitats on site
· All outdoor areas have been distributed to next year’s classes. They will be responsible for providing new habitats for wildlife
· Each year group have been taking turns picking up litter on the grounds
· Next year we will track what each year group collects and hold a competition
· Recycling bins have been added to staff room and plans are in effect to add some to the play areas
· Eco Committee members have been designing posters and bin designs to reduce littering on the grounds
· We may undertake a litter picking activity off campus- TBA
Growing our own fruits and vegetables
· Bids are being submitted to help us create garden beds for each year group. These beds will stay with the children as they progress through their years at Nelson. The classes will be in control of what they plant and hopefully will be able to reap the rewards from their hard work.
· We have applied for fruit trees to create a miniature orchard
· We plan to have a harvest festival to showcase what produce has been grown.